Places in Trinidad and Tobago
Beach, Trinidad and Tobago
Pin This
Open Media Gallery

Beach, Trinidad and Tobago

© / Ulrike Hammerich

Trinidad and Tobago Travel Guide

Key Facts

5,128 sq km (1,980 sq miles). Trinidad: 4,828 sq km (1,864 sq miles). Tobago: 300 sq km (116 sq miles).


1,364,973 (UN estimate 2016).

Population density

238.4 per sq km.


Port of Spain.



Head of state

President Paula Mae Weekes since 2018.

Head of government

Prime Minister Keith Rowley since 2015.


115 volts AC, 60Hz. North American-style plugs with two flat pins (and sometimes a third grounding pin) are used.

Trinidad and Tobago: two very different islands, one mighty inviting destination. As the home of carnival, calypso and limbo dancing, not to mention Angostura Bitters, the country specialises in worldly contributions that have always been an assault on the senses. It’s raw in places, cosmopolitan in others and has a wondrous line-up of festivals and celebrations. What’s more, it punches way above its weight in the scenery stakes too. Diving? Hiking? Beaches? Waterfalls? Nightlife? Come on in.

To talk about it as one nation, however, is accurate but misleading. Oil-rich big brother Trinidad plays home to more than 95% of the country’s population and has all the vigour this would suggest. Port of Spain, surrounded by verdant hills, is the main city. Here, bazaars throng beneath modern skyscrapers and mosques share the skyline with cathedrals, while the whole place bounces to the beat of Carnival, one of the planet’s great parties. It takes place annually on the Monday and Tuesday before Ash Wednesday – and more than meets the hype.

Beyond the capital beckon volcanoes, a self-replenishing asphalt lake and magnificent bird reserves, meaning the island is as famed among twitchers as it is among party animals.

Tiny Tobago, meanwhile, sitting 32km (20 miles) northeast of Trinidad, moves at an altogether gentler pace. No island was more fought over in the colonial era – it changed hands some 32 times, which says something about its appeal. It’s fertile, located outside the hurricane belt and is even said to be the inspiration behind Daniel Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe. Here, too, there are world-class attractions for nature lovers – it is home to the oldest protected rainforest in the Western Hemisphere – and you’ll also find a spread of modern beach resorts. On both islands, meanwhile, the colourful jumble of different cultural influences has left T&T with a delicious, spice-led cuisine.

Travel Advice

Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Trinidad and Tobago on the TravelHealthPro website

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Trinidad and Tobago.

Returning to the UK

When you return, you must follow the rules for entering the UK.

Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

You are responsible for organising your own COVID-19 test, in line with UK government testing requirements. You should contact local authorities for information on testing facilities.

The government of Trinidad and Tobago reopened its international borders on 17 July 2021. Full guidelines on travel requirements are available on the Ministry of Health’s website.

Sign up for travel advice email alerts and follow the British High Commission on Facebook and Twitter.

You will need to pay for your return travel to the UK. If departure options are available but you cannot afford the travel costs and have exhausted all other options for getting funds, you may be eligible to apply for an emergency loan from the government. This is a last resort option and you would need to repay the loan when you are back in the UK. For more information, you should contact Corporate Travel Management (CTM). CTM are a commercial partner of the FCDO and are authorised to administer such loans on behalf of the FCDO.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there. If you are staying in hotel accommodation and you test positive you will be moved to a government medical facility, with guidance and assistance from the Ministry of Health, and placed in quarantine at a hospital in the parallel healthcare system or state approved medical facility. You can expect to be placed under the Ministry of Health’s care within 24hrs of receiving a positive test result. Minors (under 18) testing positive will be required to isolate immediately at the discretion of the County Medical Officers of Health (CMOH) and an additional quarantine order will be applied.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Trinidad and Tobago

The government of Trinidad and Tobago keeps restrictions in response to COVID-19 under review. On 18 November 2021, Trinidad and Tobago ended the State of Emergency and curfew that had been in effect since 16 May.


Many hotels remain open for business. You should contact your hotel directly to understand any restrictions in place.

Public places and services

Schools and universities remain closed for most year groups. School children in forms 4 to 6 resumed in person schooling on 4 October 2021.

The government has introduced a range of restrictions to curtail the increase in COVID-19 cases. Public gatherings are limited to groups of 10 people (25 at burial or cremation sites). Outdoor sports or exercise in public places is permitted in groups of 10 or less, however team-sports are not currently allowed. Places of worship are open at 50% capacity.

On 11 October, the government launched the TT Safe Zone, permitting the reopening of restaurants, bars, gyms, water parks, public swimming pools, cinemas and casino’s to fully vaccinated patrons only. Entry requires proof of vaccination card and a form of valid photo identification.

Beaches and rivers are closed to members of the public. Consumption of alcohol is not allowed in a public place unless it is on the premises of a safe zone.

The inter-island ferry service operating between Trinidad and Tobago has increased capacity to 75% and the frequency of flights on the domestic air bridge between Trinidad and Tobago has resumed to normal services.

The government of Trinidad and Tobago reviews these public health restrictions regularly.

Under the public health regulations of 31 August 2020, it is a legal requirement for all individuals aged 8 years and over to wear a mask in public spaces, including when travelling in private vehicles. Failure to do so attracts a fine. You should adhere to all precautionary measures put in place by the local authorities.

Healthcare in Trinidad and Tobago

The Trinidad and Tobago government has set up a COVID-19 hotline staffed by doctors. If you suspect you have any symptoms please contact the hotline on +1 868 877-WELL (9355) from Trinidad or +1 868 800-HEAL (4325) toll-free from Tobago.

COVID-19 testing facilities in Trinidad and Tobago can be found at the T&T Ministry of Health’s website.

You should not report to any healthcare facility but instead self-quarantine and follow instructions provided by the authorities.

For contact details for English speaking doctors visit our list of healthcare providers.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health.

View Health for further details on healthcare in Trinidad and Tobago.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Trinidad and Tobago

We will update this page when the Government of Trinidad and Tobago announces new information on the national vaccination programme. You can sign up to get email notifications when this page is updated.

The Trinidad and Tobago national vaccination programme started in February 2021 and is using the AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinopharm and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccines. The Government of Trinidad and Tobago has stated that British nationals resident in Trinidad and Tobago are eligible for vaccination if they choose to join the programme. Further information on the vaccination programme is available on the Government of Trinidad and Tobago’s Ministry of Health website

Find out more, including about vaccines that are authorised in the UK or approved by the World Health Organisation, on the COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad.

If you’re a British national living in Trinidad and Tobago, you should seek medical advice from your local healthcare provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national programme where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.


For information on financial support you can access whilst abroad, visit our financial assistance guidance.

Further information

If you need urgent consular assistance, contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephone numbers are available 24/7.



There is a high level of gang related violent crime in Trinidad, particularly in and around the city centre of Port of Spain, including Laventille, Morvant and Barataria. Crime tends to occur within local communities but can sometimes affect visitors.

You should maintain at least the same level of security awareness as you would in the UK. The motive for most attacks on tourists is robbery. Don’t walk alone in deserted areas, even in daylight, and try to avoid travel beyond major populated areas late at night and before dawn. Don’t carry large amounts of cash or wear eye-catching jewellery. Take care when withdrawing money from ATMs.

Theft from vehicles and property occurs in parts of downtown Port of Spain and other towns/cities. Make sure your accommodation is secure and use a hotel safe to store valuables, money and passports. Take particular care when driving, especially at night, and take local advice to avoid straying into areas affected by gang violence. Always drive with windows closed and doors locked. Crimes including rape and murder, kidnapping for ransom, assault, robbery and theft have taken place in private cars and maxi taxis. You should exercise caution when using informal and maxi taxis.

There have been incidents of violence and fatal accidents caused by drunk driving to and from the airport, particularly on the Beetham/Churchill Roosevelt Highway.


Most visits to Tobago are trouble free and incidents of violent crime are rare. However, there have been recent incidents involving tourists (including British nationals) being robbed and raped.

You should maintain at least the same level of security awareness as you would in the UK and make sure your living accommodation is secure. Don’t carry large amounts of cash or wear eye-catching jewellery. Use a hotel safe to store valuables, money and passports. Petty theft from cars is common.

Villas, particularly those in isolated areas, should have adequate security, including external security lighting, grilles and overnight security guards.

Don’t walk alone in deserted areas including beaches even in daylight. Consult your tour operator if in doubt.

Be vigilant at all times and carry a mobile phone with roaming capability for use in emergency.

Road travel

You can drive in Trinidad and Tobago with a valid UK driving licence for up to 90 days. If you’re staying longer/living in Trinidad and Tobago, you will need to get a local Driver’s Permit from the Trinidad and Tobago Licensing Division. You can check the Living in Trinidad and Tobago guide for information on licence requirements for residents.

Take care when driving and observe speed limits. Some roads are narrow and winding, and the surface is of a low standard. Pedestrians often walk on the roads and indicators are not always used.

Take extra care when driving at night as some roads are unlit. Road signs and hazards may not be easily visible.

The standard of driving in Trinidad and Tobago is mixed. High speed road accidents on the main highways in Trinidad often result in fatalities.

Use hotel or pre-booked taxis and drivers who work with set fares. Private taxis in Trinidad and Tobago are unmetered and unmarked but can be identified by vehicle registration plates beginning with ‘H’. They can take the form of either a private car or ‘maxi taxi’ minibus. Some vehicles with ‘P’ registration plates offer informal taxi services illegally.

If you don’t have a vehicle, use hotel taxis to get around, particularly after dark.

Air travel

Safety concerns have been raised about INSEL Air. The US and Netherlands authorities have prohibited their staff from using the airline while safety checks are being carried out. UK government officials have been told to do the same as a precaution.

Terrorist attacks in Trinidad and Tobago cannot be ruled out. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in crowded spaces and places visited by foreigners.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

Although there have been no recent attacks in Trinidad and Tobago, more than 100 Trinidad and Tobago nationals have travelled to Syria and Iraq to fight along with Daesh (formerly referred to as ISIL). In February 2018, the local authorities arrested some individuals who had planned to carry out attacks against Carnival 2018.

There’s also a threat from individuals who may have been inspired by terrorist groups, including Daesh and al Qaeda, to carry out so-called ‘lone actor’ attacks targeting public events or places.

On 1 November 2017, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago announced that it had approved a national counter-terrorism strategy, and that an action plan to address violent extremism had been drafted. The Minister of National Security has spoken publically about Trinidad and Tobago’s efforts to tackle terrorism and violent extremism, including through co-operation with the UK.

There’s a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

In December 2019, legislation came into force to decriminalise possession of up to 30 grams of marijuana/cannabis. Anyone with more than 30 grams of cannabis, or more than five grams of cannabis resin, commits an offence and is liable to a fine of TT$50,000. You are not allowed to smoke in public spaces or while operating a vehicle.

Severe penalties will remain in place for other drug related offences, including attempting to export narcotics.

Male and female same-sex sexual activity is illegal in Trinidad and Tobago. There is legislation in place that bars LGBT individuals from entering the country. In practice, these laws are rarely enforced and there is growing local support for LGBT rights. However, public displays of affection between same sex couples may attract negative attention. See our information and advice page for the LGBT community before you travel.

It is an offence for anyone, including children, to carry or dress in camouflage clothing.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Trinidad and Tobago set and enforce entry rules. For further information contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to. You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Entry rules in response to coronavirus (COVID-19)

The government of Trinidad and Tobago reopened its international borders on 17 July 2021.

Entry to Trinidad and Tobago

BA resumed direct flights to Port of Spain from 15th November 2021 and is expected to resume direct flights to Tobago in January 2022. Other international airlines are scheduled to resume services to Trinidad and Tobago soon. Check their official websites for confirmation and flight information.

Trinidad and Tobago has published travel protocols setting out its entry requirements in relation to COVID-19. Visit the Ministry of Health website for full details. You should read these before your departure and monitor the pages on a regular basis as the requirements may change at short notice. Masks should be worn at all times during your travel to Trinidad and Tobago and your passage through the airport. Social distancing and hygiene protocols are in place.

The Trinidad and Tobago authorities have announced a ban on cruise ships entering until the end of the current cruise season.

Arrive with a COVID 19 negative test

All travellers from the UK must present on arrival a valid negative NASOPHARYNGEAL (nasal swab) RT-PCR test result taken no more than 72 hours (3 days) in advance of your flight’s arrival. Please note that the test can be taken at any time during the day 3 days prior to the date of your arrival in Trinidad and Tobago.

All passengers are also required to apply for a Travel Pass via the following online gateway: up to 72 hours prior to travel, to which they should upload their negative test result. The TTravel Pass can be printed or saved on a mobile device for use to board the flight and to gain entry into Trinidad and Tobago. The TTravel Pass website gives full details on additional entry requirements.

Non-nationals who are NOT fully vaccinated will not be allowed entry to Trinidad and Tobago at this time.

Quarantine for unvaccinated arrivals

Non-nationals who are NOT fully vaccinated will not be allowed entry to Trinidad and Tobago at this time.

Nationals who are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated MUST enter the country through the Piarco International Airport in Trinidad only. On arrival, unvaccinated passengers ((i.e. people who are citizens or have permanent resident status only) will be required to quarantine at a designated State Supervised Quarantine Facility for 14 days (at a designated holding hotel at your own expense). Before beginning your application for a TTravel Pass, you MUST have proof of confirmed accommodation at one of these facilities. The list of approved state supervised quarantine hotels is available here. You will be required to undergo a medical assessment within 24hrs of arrival and take a second PCR test 7 days after arrival. Passengers testing negative on day 7, completing their remaining quarantine period, and remaining asymptomatic can then leave quarantine following a medical assessment. Passengers testing positive are transferred to hospital.

See the Ministry of Health Quarantine Protocols for Passengers Entering Trinidad and Tobago and TTravel Pass.

Quarantine for vaccinated arrivals

From 17 July, fully vaccinated individuals (2 doses administered more than 14 days prior to arrival) with a negative PCR Test 72 hours prior to arrival; with proof of vaccination (WHO approved) will not be required to quarantine. (See ‘Demonstrating your COVID-19 status’)

Unvaccinated Children travelling with a vaccinated parent or guardian will not be required to quarantine providing they provide proof of a negative PCR Test 72 hours prior to arrival. In addition, unvaccinated children will be required to have a further PCR Test between 3 to 5 days after their arrival in country. Providing the second test is negative, no further monitoring is necessary. If the result of the second test is positive, it is necessary to report to the County Medical Officers of Health (CMOH).

You can find full details of the protocols at the Ministry of Health Quarantine Protocols for Passengers Entering Trinidad and Tobago and TTravelPass. You are advised to read and understand the requirements carefully before departure.

You should monitor the Ministry of Health’s website on a regular basis as the Government of Trinidad and Tobago may change their requirements without notice.

Demonstrating your COVID-19 status

Trinidad and Tobago will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

Sailing travel restrictions

You can sail into and transit out of the marinas or Chaguaramas Bay, however it is prohibited to stop at beaches because they are currently closed to the public. You are required to wear a mask and groups exceeding ten people are not permitted. Failure to follow government regulations could result in being intercepted by the Coast Guard and being handed over to the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service.

Entry stamps

If you are a British national and the entry stamp in your passport is due to expire due to the border closure you should request an extension by contacting the Trinidad and Tobago Immigration authorities by sending an email to with a scanned copy of the biodata page of your passport, a copy of your last entry stamp, your address in T&T and a contact number.

If you are a British national with a work permit that is due to expire, you should request an entry stamp extension as detailed above whilst your work permit application is under consideration.

Regular entry requirements


You do not need a visa to visit Trinidad and Tobago as a visitor. Visitors are generally given 90 days to remain in the country, but extensions can be obtained from the Passport and Immigration Department, in Port of Spain (Trinidad) and Scarborough (Tobago).

You must be in possession of a valid return ticket and have sufficient funds for your stay in Trinidad and Tobago. Further details on these and other entry requirements can be found on the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago’s Immigration Division website or by contacting the High Commission of Trinidad and Tobago in London.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Trinidad and Tobago.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Trinidad and Tobago.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Trinidad and Tobago on the TravelHealthPro website

See the healthcare information in the Coronavirus section for information on what to do if you think you have coronavirus while in Trinidad and Tobago.

Other health guidance

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).

In some areas of Trinidad and Tobago medical facilities can be limited. Private clinics are able to treat most ordinary problems, but medical evacuation to Miami or elsewhere may be necessary in more serious cases. Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

UK health authorities have classified Trinidad and Tobago as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For information and advice about the risks associated with Zika virus, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

Mosquito-borne dengue fever is endemic to Latin America and the Caribbean and can occur throughout the year.

The 2013 UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic estimated that around 14,000 adults aged 15 or over in Trinidad & Tobago were living with HIV; the prevalence percentage was estimated at around 1.5% of the adult population compared to the prevalence percentage in adults in the UK of around 0.25%. Exercise normal precautions to avoid exposure to HIV/AIDS.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 811 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment. 


Earthquakes are a potential threat and tremors are felt occasionally. On 21 August 2018 Trinidad and Tobago experienced an earthquake in excess of magnitude 6.7 causing damage to some buildings and communication networks. To learn more about what to do before, during and after an earthquake, visit the website of the US Federal Emergency Management Agency.


The Caribbean hurricane season normally runs from June to November. Trinidad and Tobago is rarely affected by hurricanes but can experience severe storm conditions. You can monitor local and international weather updates from the National Hurricane Centre

See our Tropical cyclones page for advice about how to prepare effectively and what to do if you’re likely to be affected by a hurricane or tropical cyclone.

Seismic activity

You should monitor the alert level of the underwater volcano ‘Kick’em Jenny’, located 5 miles off the coast of Grenada. Observe any maritime exclusion zones and follow the advice of the local authorities in the event of increased activity or eruption.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the FCDO in London on 020 7008 5000 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCDO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCDO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCDO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCDO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. Versions prior to 2 September 2020 will be archived as FCO travel advice. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send the Travel Advice team a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.