Money & duty free for Malawi

Exchange rates:

Malawian Kwacha
C$1 = Mk541.7
€1 = Mk755.24
£1 = Mk899.57
US$1 = Mk726.65

Currency & Money

Currency information

Kwacha (MWK; symbol Mk) = 100 tambala. Notes are in denominations of Mk500, 200, 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5. Coins are in denominations of Mk1 and 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 tambala.

Credit cards

Acceptance of credit and debit cards is very limited, although in Lilongwe and Blantyre and in main hotels, American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard and Visa can be used.

Travellers cheques

Traveller's cheques can be exchanged in banks, hotels and other institutions. In remote areas, the Treasury Office of Local District Commissioner's offices will cash traveller's cheques. To avoid additional exchange rate charges, travellers are advised to take traveller's cheques in US Dollars, Euros, Pounds Sterling or South African Rand.

Banking hours

Mon-Fri 0800-1400.

Currency restriction

The import of local currency is unlimited. The export of local currency is limited to K3,000. The import of foreign currency is unlimited. The export of foreign currency must not exceed the amount imported and must be declared on departure.

Currency exchange

US Dollars, Pounds Sterling, Euros or South African Rand are readily exchanged but lesser-known currencies may prove difficult to exchange.

Malawi duty free

The following goods may be imported into Malawi by passengers aged 16 years and above of without incurring customs duty:
• 200 cigarettes or 250g of tobacco in any form.
• 1L of spirits.
• 1L of wine or beer.
• 250ml of eau de toilette and 50ml of perfume.
• Other goods to the value of K300,000 per person.
Banned imports

Prohibited or restricted imports include arms and ammunition, flick knives, game traps, pharmaceutical products, gold, sugar, wild animals and their products, and some foods (eg bananas, potatoes and uncooked meat).

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.