Andorra Travel Advice, Embassies & Tourist Offices

Travel Advice

Before you travel, check the ‘Entry requirements’ section for Andorra’s current entry restrictions and requirements. Due to COVID-19, these may change with little warning. Monitor this advice for the latest updates and stay in contact with your travel provider.

If you plan to pass through another country on your journey, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.

It is more important than ever to get travel insurance and check it provides appropriate cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.

Around 150,000 British nationals visit Andorra every year. Most visits are trouble-free.

Neither the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) nor Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) are valid in Andorra. Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before travelling. See Health

Terrorist attacks in Andorra can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

Drinking alcohol in low temperatures and high altitude will have a greater impact on you and can be dangerous or even fatal.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Andorra on the TravelHealthPro website.

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Andorra.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID-19. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Andorra

The Andorran authorities have removed all COVID-19 measures. The use of a face mask is no longer mandatory in all settings except healthcare, but is recommended on public transport and in crowded areas.

You can find more information regarding the measures in place on the Andorran government website.

Accepted forms of COVID certificate

Proof of vaccination status

Andorra will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record. It will also accept proof of COVID-19 vaccination record issued in the Crown Dependencies. Documents can be in English, Spanish, French or Catalan and in paper or electronic format. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centres is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and cannot be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

At least 14 days must have passed since being fully vaccinated (with both doses of a two-dose vaccine or one dose of a single-dose vaccine). Your date(s) of vaccination must be specified and your final dose must have been administered within the last 270 days. If you completed your vaccination (with both doses of a two-dose vaccine or one dose of a single-dose vaccine) more than 270 days ago, you must be able to show proof of having received a booster jab. There is no requirement for 14 days to have passed since receiving your booster jab.

Diagnostic test

The Andorran authorities accept either a TMA or PCR diagnostic certificate with a negative result carried out within the previous 72 hours, or a certificate of a negative result for an antigen test performed within the previous 12 hours.

The accrediting documentation may be written in Catalan, Spanish, French or English, can be presented in digital or physical format and must contain at least the following information: name and surname(s) of holder, issuing country, date and time of sample and test type.

Recovery certificate

Under the Andorran rules, a recovery certificate must be issued by the competent authority or a medical service at least 11 days after the first positive TMA or PCR test. This certificate is valid for 180 calendar days from the date the sample was taken for this TMA or PCR test.

The accrediting documentation may be written in English, Spanish, French or Catalan, can be presented in digital or physical format and must contain at least the following information: name and surname(s) of holder, date of sample of first test with positive result, test type and issuing country.

Children under the age of 16 are exempt from presenting the certificate, but must follow preventive measures.

Healthcare in Andorra

If you believe you have COVID-19 symptoms, call 116. Do not go directly to a hospital or healthcare facility.

For general information surrounding the measures introduced by the Andorran authorities, call 118.

For contact details for English speaking doctors visit our list of healthcare providers.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health

View Health for further details on healthcare in Andorra.

See also the guidance on healthcare if you’re waiting to return to the UK.


For information on financial support you can access whilst abroad, visit our financial assistance guidance.

Further information

If you need urgent consular assistance, contact your nearest British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephone numbers are available 24/7.


Street crime is rare, but you should take care of your personal belongings. Don’t keep money and valuables all in one place. Keep a photocopy or scanned copy of your passport somewhere safe.

Be alert to the possible use of ‘date rape’ and other drugs including ‘GHB’ and liquid ecstasy. Buy your own drinks and keep sight of them at all times to make sure they are not spiked; female travellers should be particularly careful. Alcohol and drugs can make you less vigilant, less in control and less aware of your environment - especially at altitude. If you drink, know your limit - remember that drinks served in bars are often stronger than those in the UK.

Avoid splitting up from your friends, and don’t go off with people you don’t know.

Legal aid is only available for residents in Andorra. This means travellers will always need to hire a private lawyer.

Road travel

Driving is on the right in Andorra (opposite to the UK). It’s a legal requirement for motorists travelling to or transiting Andorra to carry 2 red warning triangles, to be placed in front of and behind the vehicle in the event of an accident or breakdown. Drivers must have a spare pair of glasses (if needed for driving), a spare wheel, and a full set of spare light bulbs plus the tools to change them. If you have to leave your vehicle due to an accident or breakdown, or while awaiting the arrival of the emergency services, you must wear a reflective jacket. Failure to do so could result in a heavy fine.

Carry a certificate of insurance with you in case you are stopped. If you have hired a car and bought insurance, you should be given documentation.

Andorra has stricter drink driving laws than many other countries, including the UK, and the authorities impose strict penalties.

Seat belts are required for front seat passengers. No children under the age of ten should be in the front seat and small children must be in an approved child safety seat.

Talking on mobile phones when driving is forbidden but you are allowed to use a completely hands-free unit.

See the RAC and AA guides to driving in Andorra.

Winter sports

If you’re planning a skiing holiday to Andorra, contact the Andorran Foreign Ministry for advice on safety and weather conditions before travelling.

Off-piste skiing is highly dangerous. Follow safety instructions carefully to protect yourself against avalanches. Further information can be found on the European Avalanche Warning Service and Ski Andorra websites.

If an accident occurs whilst mountaineering, canyoning, potholing or climbing, or if you become lost, telephone the Emergency Services on the following numbers:

112 - General Emergencies / Mountain Rescue

118 - Ambulance/Fire Brigade

110 - Police

116 - Medical Emergency Service

Read more about how to stay safe on the slopes.

Consular assistance

There is an Honorary British Consul in Andorra, under the supervision of the British Consulate - General, Barcelona.

To contact our Honorary Consul in Andorra or to request Consular assistance in Andorra, you should first make contact with the British Consulate General in Barcelona.

British Consulate-General

Edifico Torre de Barcelona

Avenida Diagonal 477 - 13



Telephone: (+34) 93 366 6200

Terrorist attacks in Andorra can’t be ruled out.

UK Counter Terrorism Policing has information and advice on staying safe abroad and what to do in the event of a terrorist attack. Find out more about the global threat from terrorism.

You should be aware of the global risk of indiscriminate terrorist attacks, which could be in public places, including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

There is considered to be a heightened threat of terrorist attack globally against UK interests and British nationals, from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria. You should be vigilant at this time.

Andorran law requires tourist apartments to be registered and sanctions could apply to non-registered apartments. You’re encouraged to stay in official tourist apartments. Hotels and tourist apartments are required by law to register the names of all overnight guests to the police. You’ll have to provide your passport details during your stay.

Andorra has strict rules on public drunkenness. It’s forbidden to drink alcohol on the street.

Andorra applies a zero tolerance policy to the possession and use of illegal drugs.

Andorra isn’t a member of the European Union and duty free tobacco, liquor and luxury goods are subject to taxes and duties on re-entering European Union countries. France and Spain apply strict rules on the amount of tobacco exported from Andorra for personal use. Amounts in excess of this can be impounded as can the transporting vehicle.

This page has information on travelling to Andorra.

This page reflects the UK government’s understanding of current rules for people travelling on a full ‘British Citizen’ passport from the UK, for the most common types of travel.

The authorities in Andorra set and enforce entry rules. If you’re unsure how Andorra’s entry requirements apply to you, contact its UK embassy, high commission or consulate.

All travellers

Passengers arriving from the UK are not required to provide any health certification upon arrival in Andorra. All travel to Andorra takes place through neighbouring France or Spain. You must ensure you meet the entry requirements for the country you are travelling through. See Spain or France travel advice.

All travellers should follow the advice of the local authorities on how best to protect themselves and others, including any measures that they bring in to control the virus. See the Coronavirus section for further information.

Plan ahead in case you present symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 during your stay in Andorra.

Quarantine and testing on return to the UK continues to apply, see Returning to the UK

For further information, visit the Andorra COVID information page.

If you’re fully vaccinated

Entry requirements for Andorra are the same for all travellers, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status. See All travellers.

Proof of vaccination status

You don’t need to provide your vaccination status for entry to Andorra. See All travellers for further information.

If you’re not fully vaccinated

Entry requirements for Andorra are the same for all travellers, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status. See All travellers.

If you’ve had COVID-19 in the past year

Entry requirements for Andorra are the same for all travellers regardless of whether you have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past year. See All travellers.

Children and young people

Entry requirements for Andorra are the same for all travellers, including children and young people. All travellers.

If you’re transiting through Andorra

Transiting is when you pass through one country on the way to your final destination. It is not possible to transit through Andorra. All travel into Andorra requires transit via neighbouring France or Spain. You must ensure you meet the entry requirements for the country you are travelling through. See Spain or France travel advice.


There are no exemptions.

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel

For entry to Andorra, your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required under Andorran entry requirements.

All travel into Andorra requires transit via neighbouring France or Spain.

Passport validity

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must follow the Schengen area passport requirements.

Your passport must be:

  • issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
  • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

You must check your passport meets these requirements before you travel. If your passport was issued before 1 October 2018, extra months may have been added to its expiry date.

Contact the embassy of the country you are visiting if you think that your passport does not meet both these requirements. Renew your passport if you need to.


British nationals don’t need a visa to visit Andorra.

If you wish to stay for longer than 3 months, you must apply for a work or residence permit through the local immigration services. You can find information on the different requirements (in Catalan) from the Andorran government.

Travelling with children

Single parents or other adults travelling alone with children should travel with a copy of any custody documents and written authorisation of the other parent.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry and exit from Andorra.

If you have a health condition, or you are pregnant, you may need specialist healthcare abroad. Check whether your destination country can provide the healthcare you may need and ensure you have appropriate travel insurance for unexpected medical evacuation or local treatment.

See the Coronavirus travel health and Healthcare sections in the Coronavirus page for COVID-19 health information.

At least 8 weeks before your trip, check the latest country-specific health advice from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) on the TravelHealthPro website. Each country-specific page has information on vaccine recommendations, any current health risks or outbreaks, and factsheets with information on staying healthy abroad. Guidance is also available from NHS (Scotland) on the FitForTravel website.

General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist is available on the NHS website. You may then wish to contact your health adviser or pharmacy for advice on other preventive measures and managing any pre-existing medical conditions while you’re abroad.

The legal status and regulation of some medicines prescribed or purchased in the UK can be different in other countries. If you’re travelling with prescription or over-the-counter medicine, read this guidance from NaTHNaC on best practice when travelling with medicines. For further information on the legal status of a specific medicine, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate
of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

While travel can be enjoyable, it can sometimes be challenging. There are clear links between mental and physical health, so looking after yourself during travel and when abroad is important. Information on travelling with mental health conditions is available in our guidance page. Further information is also available from the National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC).

Local medical care

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) do not provide health cover in Andorra. Make sure you have comprehensive travel and medical insurance that is valid for travel to non-EU countries. Check that your policy covers you for all the activities you want to undertake, like skiing or rafting.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 116 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you’re referred to a medical facility for treatment.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. If you need urgent help because something has happened to a friend or relative abroad, contact the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) in London on 020 7008 5000 (24 hours).

Foreign travel checklist

Read our foreign travel checklist to help you plan for your trip abroad and stay safe while you’re there.

Travel safety

The FCDO travel advice helps you make your own decisions about foreign travel. Your safety is our main concern, but we can’t provide tailored advice for individual trips. If you’re concerned about whether or not it’s safe for you to travel, you should read the travel advice for the country or territory you’re travelling to, together with information from other sources you’ve identified, before making your own decision on whether to travel. Only you can decide whether it’s safe for you to travel.

When we judge the level of risk to British nationals in a particular place has become unacceptably high, we’ll state on the travel advice page for that country or territory that we advise against all or all but essential travel. Read more about how the FCDO assesses and categorises risk in foreign travel advice.

Our crisis overseas page suggests additional things you can do before and during foreign travel to help you stay safe.

Refunds and cancellations

If you wish to cancel or change a holiday that you’ve booked, you should contact your travel company. The question of refunds and cancellations is a matter for you and your travel company. Travel companies make their own decisions about whether or not to offer customers a refund. Many of them use our travel advice to help them reach these decisions, but we do not instruct travel companies on when they can or can’t offer a refund to their customers.

For more information about your rights if you wish to cancel a holiday, visit the Citizen’s Advice Bureau website. For help resolving problems with a flight booking, visit the website of the Civil Aviation Authority. For questions about travel insurance, contact your insurance provider and if you’re not happy with their response, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Registering your travel details with us

We’re no longer asking people to register with us before travel. Our foreign travel checklist and crisis overseas page suggest things you can do before and during foreign travel to plan your trip and stay safe.

Previous versions of FCDO travel advice

If you’re looking for a previous version of the FCDO travel advice, visit the National Archives website. Versions prior to 2 September 2020 will be archived as FCO travel advice. If you can’t find the page you’re looking for there, send the Travel Advice Team a request.

Further help

If you’re a British national and you have a question about travelling abroad that isn’t covered in our foreign travel advice or elsewhere on GOV.UK, you can submit an enquiry or contact us on Twitter or Facebook. We’re not able to provide tailored advice for specific trips.

Visa and passport information is updated regularly and is correct at the time of publishing. You should verify critical travel information independently with the relevant embassy before you travel.